Weather Delays and School Closings
Our school may be faced with delayed openings or early dismissals due to inclement weather, emergency conditions, etc. This is a concern to us all. The decision to delay the opening of a school or close early is made as soon as possible by the Superintendent of Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS). Imagine Foundations at Morningside personnel are not responsible for the final decision to delay or close school.
Once a decision has been made, an announcement will be provided via radio and television stations within the Washington Metropolitan area before 6:30 a.m. Parents should tune in to these stations for the status of school closings, delayed openings, or early dismissal times. Dismissal may occur before inclement weather begins.
If you do not have access to radio or phone while at work, it would be advisable for you to make arrangements to be notified of an early dismissal by a neighbor or friend. You may also access this information several ways:
- You can access the Prince George’s County Public Schools web page at www1.pgcps.orgto find the information listed at the top of the homepage and on each individual school page.
- You can sign up to receive free e-mails and/or text alerts about closings, delayed openings, and early dismissals at the PGCPS Electronic Notification System page or via Prince George’s County Emergency Information System.
- The PGCPS Twitter and Facebook accounts allow you to receive messages on your computer or mobile device. Follow on Twitter and/or “like” on Facebook to receive updates that will include emergency notifications and other school system news.
- After 6 a.m. you can access the school system’s Weather Line at (301) 952-6000, option 1.
- The school system’s cable television station, Comcast Channel 96 or Verizon FIOS Channel 38, will broadcast a “crawl” message.
DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL FOR INFORMATION!
It is most important that you make plans in advance for your child’s care in case school is dismissed early. You could possibly be away from your home at the time an emergency occurs. Make some decisions now, before the emergency, so that your children will know where they are to go when you are not home. Make certain that your child understands what to do. Feel free to add emergency contact names to your child’s Family Card in the school office. If your plan changes during the year, please notify the school office and your child’s teacher immediately. Childcare providers should be made aware of any changes as well.
It is not a good idea to rely on calling the school, to have directions relayed on the day of an emergency. We are usually swamped with calls and very busy organizing the early dismissal. Also, many times our telephone lines are jammed and you cannot reach us with your messages. If we should have an emergency in which the electricity is off, our telephones will not ring. You will usually know before we do if the school is on a delayed opening or closing early. So please plan ahead and make sure your child knows the plan.
Procedures for Delayed Openings and Early Closings
1. Delayed Openings – Start of school will be either one or two hours later than the usual time.
- One-hour delay: School opens at 9:45am. Student arrival time – 9:30 am.
- Two-hour delay: School opens at 10:45am. Student arrival time – 10:30 am.
Note: Springboard Before Care – In the event of a One (1) hour delay we open at 7:30am. Two (2) hour delay we will open at 8:30am.
Note: School Bus Riders – In the event of a One (1) hour delay opening – All buses will run one hour later than normal. Two (2) hour delay, all buses will run two hours later than normal. (For example: If your bus time is 7:00am and it is a two hour delay, your new time would be 9:00am).
A delayed opening has no effect on dismissal time unless announced.
2. Early Closing/Dismissal (Due to Inclement Weather/Emergencies Conditions, etc.) – Dismissal of school prior to the regular closing time.
When the announcement is made for early closing/dismissal, please begin arriving at school to pick-up your child(ren). Imagine Foundations will allow a grace period of 15 minutes from the closing time announced for you to pick up your child(ren). Thereafter, student(s) will be placed in Springboard After School Program and charged the daily rate and fees.
Announced Early Closing/Dismissal– Two hours– we will serve all students lunch before they are sent home.
Note: Springboard After School – In the event of a One (1) hour early closing we will close at 5:30pm. Two (2) hour early closing we will close at 4:30pm. *Early Closing Time is subject to change. Therefore, once the announcement is made, please ensure that you check your email account for notification of our early closing/dismissal time. If your email address or contact information changes at any time, please notify us immediately. For those students, not yet registered in Springboard After School Program, but who might possibly use the program during an Early Closing/Dismissal day (such as a snow storm), the student MUST be registered online at www.springboardafterschool.com. Parents complete the required medical and emergency contact forms and pay the annual registration fee. If the child then needs to attend Springboard on an Early Closing/Dismissal day, you will then be charged the daily rate of $14.99 for that day plus a $3 drop-in fee.
If you are unable to register online prior to your arrival, you must contact the Springboard Area Director immediately to make arrangements. Contact Dr. Abraham at (202) 758-5431 and she will be able to let you know the current protocol to follow in reference to register your child prior to the end of the school day. You will be responsible for the total amount of all fees plus the daily rate.
For further information regarding PGCPS Procedures for delayed opening, early closing for inclement weather, emergencies and other problems. Please visit: http://www1.pgcps.org/interior.aspx?id=9256 and http://www1.pgcps.org/interior.aspx?id=31368